January 25, 2009

Howdy!

Last Saturday, Tyler and Ben came over to explore a creek with me in the Jeep. The Jeep did great besides getting stuck on a stump. :)

Yesterday, Ben and I played basketball at the college court. Along with three previous games, he now holds a 7/0 win over me. It's going to crack like a pre-historic cookie next time though!

I've thought about chips being placed in lane markers to communicate with your car to stay on the road. So when I read an article that I extracted the excerpt below, it caught my full attention.

Attention Assist
If you drive to work, you may still be stifling your snores. Mercedes-Benz has a plan to manage fatigue, which it says causes 100,000 accidents in America each year.

Its Attention Assist technology reads telltale signals, such as the way you're steering and braking, monitoring your sleepiness and flashing an alert if you seem too tired.

Mercedes is launching the new tool in its 2010 E-Series models, which look pretty good alongside the S-Series. That line already offers a Pre-Safe system that adds a little gusto to your braking and tightens up seat belts when radar tells the car's computers that a crash is imminent.

Biomimetic Robots
Your car may be making sure you stay alert, but people still driving around in...[older cars]...could pose a threat to you on the open road.

Enter Nissan, which is developing a program that will sense obstacles and incoming vehicles, instantly reacting to avert a crash. It uses a laser to give it 360 degrees of protection, modeled on a bumblebee's compound eyes that can see in most directions.

The only problem: The technology hasn't been worked into an auto yet. It remains housed inside a duck-sized robot, so don't get your hopes up unless you already ride a duck to work


I'm conservative, if you haven't already guessed that. :) Obama is the worst thing that could have happened to America. I've started an 'Obama Watch' section on my sidebar(right), that will hopefully help keep Obama's heels hot.

Mr B.

No comments: