May 06, 2010

Finished School!!



Last Thursday was my last day of school. Having been in 12th grade, it has not completely sunk into my consciousness that it was my last day of school... Forever. It's sad in many ways and exciting in so many others.

I've often been asked how I like being homeschooled; I would not trade it for the world. Homeschooling is so much more than text book education, it's a world changing way of life. Although I have never been bullied at school, had academic disfunctions, nor had physical incapabilities, my mother still chose to homeschool me for reasons of moral preference, no, a conviction.

My mom and dad, second generation pioneers of homeschooling, saw the need for less conventional bench seat fatigue and more learning from the real world. They knew that if I were to make it in this world, I would have to learn how to handle people from all ages and walks of life, not just equal grade peers and chalkboard silhouettes. They recognized that I had to have experience in real world situations, set goals for myself, take on unfamiliar tasks with confidence, be able to learn from life's curves without blaming fate, to be able to preserve my self confidence without the superficial aid of others, and to keep all the beliefs and values that I hold dear in spite of scoffers and theorists and cultural fashion.

This said, I feel that my parents had a good traditional view of academics. Since history repeats, they understood that I must learn from it, not just learn about it. Having gone on into physics, they did not ignore our every advancing technological/mathematical world. They uncovered the fact that learning in life is more than passing written tests...it's about passing life's tests.

You may be thinking right now, "They may have taught him those things, but they sure missed the modesty part.". Here, I beg pardon. It is not often that homeschoolers school at home from day 1 of pre-school and finish without interruption on day 5,110. It's hardly ever recognized when two people come together in unison and agree that they must counter-culturally resist the pressures of their peers and the socialistic indoctrinating public school system. I just want to pay homage to the fortitude of my parents and let the whole world know, "You Can Do It Too!"

1 comment:

---- said...

Hello Barley!

I just got your graduation card in the mail today. We moved to Memphis last year, so it took a little longer to get here. I have been thinking a lot about you all lately, so it was funny to get this now.

Congratulations on finishing school! Yes, it is a little sad. I just went to my cousin's graduation ceremony on Saturday, and we watched a little video of pictures from her growing up. How time flies! Yet, time is not against us if we are saved and know it. Then, we know that we have eternity where we will never grow older.

I wish you my best as you make plans for your future!

Drop me a line sometime. I think you have my e-mail. My blog is www.SliceofBryce.blogspot.com.

Bryce