Hey Steve,
I've been interested in cars since I was a little kid. Now I'm getting ready to go to college, and I've been wondering how I can become a test driver for a car manufacturer. Any helpful tips?
Steve Natt:
Millers,
That's a good question, and it's gonna take some hard work. I think you need a three-pronged approach:
Head for a college with a good mechanical engineering program, preferably one that includes coursework in automotive design and manufacturing.
Work on your driving skills — take karting classes at local racetracks, read books about driving technique, and practice safely and legally.
Start working on cars. Learn through your hands and eyes the way cars are built. Experiment as much as you can with different suspension parts and settings, and wheel and tire combinations to see how even small changes in camber, caster and other adjustments can dramatically affect the way a car feels to the driver. (As always, I recommend that you do everything safely, legally and only with products designed for your vehicle.) Try adding weight to the car — barbells in the trunk or backseat — and go for a ride. Remove these items and drive the same course again. See if you can train yourself to feel the difference.
Overall, these activities should help you understand automotive design, construction and feel. Add experience and passion to this mix, and you'll definitely set yourself on the right course. Good luck!
Thanks for watching, and keep the rubber side down.
Steve
March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Ahem.....you did catch the "do everything safely, legally and only with products designed for your vehicle" part, didn't you? :)
Love,
Mamma
Post a Comment